Strong core skills in coaching and counseling
In addition to our years of experience in coaching and personal counseling, we rely on methods developed by:
- The Highlands Company, which uses the Highlands Ability Battery as the foundational piece in its “Whole Person” approach to career development.
- The Five O’Clock Club methodology for job search.
The Highlands Ability Battery
The Highlands Ability Battery is both high-tech and high-touch. The high-tech piece rests on the proprietary Highlands Ability Battery™ (HAB) and the 30+ page reports you get as a result, and the high-touch piece rests on a one-on-one 2-hour debriefing with your coach that uses the Highlands Whole Person Model to help you understand how to put this information to use in your life.
High Tech: The Highlands Ability Battery:
- Is a rigorous 3.5 hour online assessment that objectively measures 19 distinct Natural Abilities, the innate talents that you are “hard-wired” to do with speed and ease.
- Uses timed worksamples that do not rely on self-reported information or educational achievement to reveal how you instinctively learn, communicate, lead, make decisions and solve problems, work with objects and use your mental and creative talents.
- Brings to light talents and strengths which may have been unrecognized in school or work.
- Identifies roles in work, education and personal environment that best fit the adult or student.
High Touch: A 2-hour One-on-One Debriefing with your Coach:
- Clarifies your results and explains how you can use each ability to experience less stress and more be productive in your life, education, and work.
- Provides the opportunity for fuller exploration of your career and educational issues and questions.
- Assists in making sound choices in your education and career, including a deep look at what areas of study or jobs would suit you best.
Get a Closer Look at The Highlands Approach
Testing With Worksamples Gives Objective Information About Yourself
Spatial Relations Example
In the example above, you are asked to find the item in the bottom row which matches the figure in the top row, only seen from a different angle. You are given many problems like this to solve in this worksample.
When you take the The Highlands Ability Battery, you may notice that some of the worksamples will seem very easy and others quite challenging. This is normal. It reflects the experience of comparing a strong ability to a weaker ability.
Your Highlands Ability Reports & Two Hour Review with Your Coach
After submitting your scores via the Internet, you retrieve the results from the Highlands Company website where you get a 30+ page report on your abilities including a graphic representation of your scores like the one shown below.
A two-hour review of your Highlands’ Reports with your coach by phone, Skype, or in person will deepen your understanding of how your ability pattern applies to your situation. You will receive an audio-tape of this conference to aid further reflection.
**NEW** Online Career Exploration Report
In addition, you’ll receive our ONLINE Career Exploration Supplement for more in-depth descriptions of each ability and how they impact work roles. You can view an expanded list of ability patterns and careers to explore with hotlinks to the O*NET (US Dept. of Labor’s Occupational Information Network) to discover realistic career options that fit your natural talents.
For a more in depth understanding of each report, download the Highlands Career Exploration Supplement.
The Five O’Clock Club
The Five O’Clock Club is a national outplacement and career coaching organization with certified career coaches across the United States. We received our training in their targeted, strategic approach to career development and job search.
Whether you are conducting a job search or deciding on a career or educational direction, the first step is to figure out what really motivates you, so you can define your target. Unless you are clear about your target, you will not have a successful job search.
One way to bring your “motivators” to light is by completing The Five O’Clock Club Seven Stories Exercise.
We offer The Seven Stories Exercise at no cost. You may download this “Free Self-Assessment” from the Home page of our website.